Monday, September 2, 2019

Note of the Week-with Prodigies Playground!

This semester in my piano studio, I am using a note of the week activity. It comes from Teach Piano Today, and works well for my Primer Wunderkeys students and older beginner students, as well as a fun reinforcement for my older ones. We will introduce one "special" note every week that the students will focus in on.

For my preschoolers, who are not reading notes yet, but who I want to expose to notation and build listening and early skills, I have a lifetime subscription to Prodigies Music, and my younger students have individual subscriptions (which are available for $2.50/month for students of lifetime subscribers or teacher level subscribers), which lets them access the videos and materials at home, and they have AMAZING "One note studies" that focus just on one bell. Or, in my case, one piano key. Since Prodigies is awesome at making their graphics available, I have been making some great resources to use with my students. If you want the full sets, they are available on the FB group for Prodigies music teachers.

I made these visuals-one for each note I want to introduce. This semester, that will be the notes in middle C position for left and right hands. I have these printed large as posters to put on my bulletin board or white boards in my studios, and printed 9x/page as trading cards-the student can earn the card by correctly identifying the note in their music, or, for my preschoolers, by playing the correct bell.




To tie into piano, I also made a set with piano keys. For my earliest primer students, who are still working heavily on keyboard geography, finding the notes on the piano and doing the "one note studies" and working through the prodigies lessons really cements those skills, and is a great supplement to our piano method.


Finally, I also made a set of worksheets to work on keyboard geography. These are mostly for my primer students-my preschoolers will use the pages from the prodigies workbooks, and my older students will use other theory activities.


I am also using the animal alphabet songs from Susan Paradis and these adorable clothespin cards 



No comments:

Post a Comment