Friday, July 22, 2011

It's amazing what music can do

http://www.chicagoparent.com/96943

I would add, though, that many of these benefits also can be seen just in music study. I had an occupational therapist tell me, at age 17, that there was nothing to do-that I'd already done it all, and the primary reason I'd built that coordination was so I could play saxophone. I have had so many children with special needs, some identified and some not yet identified at the time, and seen them grow-the child with aspergers who gradually was able to leave her mother and began interacting with the other children, the child with CAPD who worked SO hard to learn his glockenspiel melodies, and who's mother commented that he'd gained more by practicing music than he had in therapy...there have been many, and they've been my best teachers.

No comments:

Post a Comment