Friday, September 2, 2011

Terrific Toddlers and lots of boats!

I know you're having a wonderful time in Kindermusik Our Time with Lukey's Boat.

This is one of my favorite songs to play with color and rhyming words with. Rhyming is one of the most important phonemic awareness skills and is a precursor to learning to read. And improvisation and language play are important precursors to independent writing and composition.

Unfortunately, this can be a bit tough for parents sometimes. We'd like to be creative and come up with those wonderful word games and play on the spot, but when you've only gotten a few hours of uninterrupted sleep at a time for a couple of years, sometimes that can be hard to achieve.

So, here's my cheat sheet. Obviously, you can always make up your own rhymes, but these are ones that I've used for different colors. Simply let your child pick their various stuffed animals or toys (bath toys are great), pick favorite colors for them, and sing/rhyme away!

Brown-He likes to sail it down to town
Green-The finest boat you've ever seen
Red-He likes to sail it straight ahead
Blue-He loves the things that it can do
Pink-Oh, it's the finest boat, I think
Yellow- Because he is a clever fellow
Purple and orange are both tough, so I tend to change the words a bit

Oh, Lukey's boat is purple too,
a ha, me boys
Oh, Lukey's boat is purple too,
he loves the things that it can do
A ha me riddle I day!

This works for Orange-or anything else that doesn't have an easy rhyme.

Here is a cute and easy boat craft to make that helps teach basic shapes.


Have fun singing, rocking, and playing this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment